The choice to go commando, or not wear underwear, is becoming an increasingly popular discussion topic, particularly when it comes to working out. This meta-study aims to analyze the available results of more than 4,000 women’s survey responses about going commando. The study offers insights into how many women go commando, the reasons behind doing so, and the frequency with which women go commando.
- 50% of women go commando occasionally or more frequently.
- 7% of women report to never wear underwear, and go commando all the time.
- 37% of women go commando at least once a week or more.
- 17% of women who go commando list “comfort” as the main reason for not wearing underwear.
- 18% of women prefer not to wear underwear during a workout.
- 65% of people believe it is more acceptable for a woman to go commando, compared to a man.
1. Prevalence of women going commando:
- According to a small survey conducted by Cottonelle in 2015, 8% of women said they always go commando in yoga pants, while 25% said they do it sometimes (Women’s Health Australia).
- A separate survey by Cottonelle found that about 8% of women ‘always’ go commando in yoga pants, while 31% said they do it ‘occasionally’ (Women’s Health UK).
- A Vanity Fair and 60 Minutes poll revealed that 25% of respondents admitted to going commando at least sometimes, with 13% doing it “occasionally,” 5% once a week, and 7% “all the time” (Huffington Post).
|Once a Week||5%||37%|
|At Least Sometimes||25%||32%|
|All the Time||7%||7%|
The accumulation of respondents’ answers shows that:
- 50% of women go commando occasionally or more frequently.
- 37% of women go commando at least once a week or more frequently.
- 32% of women report to go commando at least sometimes or all the time.
The data therefore also shows that:
- 50% of women rarely go commando, or have never tried it before.
2. Reasons for going commando:
In the next section, we delve into the multitude of reasons people opt for the commando style, forgoing the traditional use of underwear.
The motives behind this choice are as varied as the individuals themselves, influenced by factors such as comfort, health, fashion, and even laundry loads. Let’s explore the common reasons for going commando and understand how this personal choice might align with broader lifestyle habits and preferences.
Whether it’s the liberating sensation of freedom, the practical avoidance of visible panty lines, or the pragmatic desire to reduce laundry, the reasons behind this choice offer a fascinating glimpse into this often unspoken topic.
- Comfort was cited as the primary reason for going commando by 17% of respondents in a survey, while 8% did so to move more freely (Today).
- Other reasons included wardrobe-related reasons (5%), doing less laundry (6%), and avoiding visible panty lines (VPL) (Women’s Health UK).
3. Going commando during workouts:
In the realm of physical fitness and sports, every component of an athlete’s regimen is carefully considered, and that includes clothing choices. The subject of going commando during workouts is no exception.
There are numerous factors at play – think mobility, reduced friction, and improved ventilation.
This section delves into the considerations and motivations behind opting to go without underwear during workout sessions. Let’s explore why the gym or the training ground might just be the ideal setting for adopting the commando style.
- 52% of respondents in a survey preferred to wear underwear during workouts, while 18% preferred not to wear any, and 30% had other preferences (Today).
- For workouts, going commando is generally considered sanitary as long as the clothing is thick enough to prevent contact with bacteria (Women’s Health Australia).
4. Gender differences in going commando:
In the dialogue surrounding personal clothing choices, the role of gender cannot be overlooked.
The societal expectations and norms often differ for men and women, which includes the decision to go commando.
Through the lens of gender equality, we aim to explore and challenge these differences in this section. Unveiling not just the disparities, but also the shared experiences between genders, we will dig deeper into societal perceptions, comfort considerations, and practical aspects.
We strive to foster an open dialogue that respects and understands individual choices, irrespective of gender, contributing towards a more equitable and inclusive society.
- 35% of survey respondents believed it was more acceptable for men to go commando than women (Today).
- Conversely, 65% of people believe it is more acceptable for women to go commando than men.
General information and cultural context on going commando
It’s generally accepted that whether or not to wear underwear is a personal choice, largely based on comfort and personal preference. Some people might choose to go commando for reasons including comfort, to avoid visible panty lines, or to feel more free or unrestricted.
In certain contexts like working out, some people might choose to go commando to avoid the discomfort of sweaty or restrictive underwear. However, others might prefer to wear underwear for its sweat-absorbing properties or for an added layer of protection and modesty.
Some clothing, like certain types of workout shorts or leggings, is designed to be worn without underwear. These garments often have a gusset (a piece of fabric sewn into the crotch) to reduce discomfort and chafing.
Cultural attitudes toward going commando can vary widely. In some contexts, it might be seen as taboo or inappropriate, while in others it’s seen as totally normal.
Health experts often say that going commando can be perfectly healthy, as long as you’re wearing clean, dry clothes and practicing good hygiene. However, they often recommend against going commando in public spaces like gyms for sanitary reasons, unless your clothing provides a sufficient barrier against bacteria.
Enhancing the Commando Experience
Going commando is all about feeling free, confident, and in touch with your body. For those who embrace this liberating choice, there are numerous ways to enhance the experience and explore new sensations. Bedbible offers a curated selection of toys that align with the spirit of freedom and self-expression.
Toys for Solo Exploration
Whether you’re at home or on the go, discreet vibrators offer a secret thrill. Dive into pleasure with top-rated vibrators or explore targeted sensations with clit suckers. For a more internal experience, realistic dildos and double dildos provide a lifelike feel.
Shared Pleasures for Couples
Couples can elevate their intimate moments with Bedbible’s best couples’ vibrators. Add an element of surprise with remote control vibrators or indulge in synchronized pleasure with vibrating cock rings. For those looking to explore together, sex toy kits offer a variety of options.
For those looking to add a touch of adventure, vibrating panties offer discreet pleasure on the go. Dive deeper into the world of sensations with suction cup dildos or explore backdoor pleasures with top-rated butt plugs. And for couples looking to introduce a playful element, sexual board games can guide you on a journey of discovery.