Match.com is one of the oldest dating platforms owned by the conglomerate, Match Group. In this analysis we looked at longitudinal data of both revenue generated from Match.com as well as user demographics. The analysis used more than 31,800 survey responses and million datapoints from public databases.
Please reference any use of the data, insights or facts uncovered in the article. To gain access to the full dataset please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Match.com had revenue of $3.2 trillion in 2022 with $925 million in earnings after costs was deducted.
- 82% of users on Match.com are over 30 years old.
- The business behind Match.com, Match Group, is valued at $15 billion.
- 32,5% of users on Match.com report to be smokers.
- 38% of Match.com users are located in the south.
- 51% of users on Match.com engage daily.
Match Group Revenue
- Match Group is the sole owner of Match.com.
- Match Group’s revenue for 2022 was $3.2 billion.
- Match Group’s revenue increased by +6.9% from the previous year.
- Match Group’s EBITDA was $925 million in 2022.
- Match Group’s EBITDA increased only slightly by +0.3% from the previous year.
- Match Group’s Net Revenue was $362 million in 2022.
- Match Group’s Net Revenue increased by +3.9% from the previous year.
- Match Group’s biggest year measured on revenue was back in 2005 with $6,790 million in annual revenue.
|Year||Total revenue (million)||Gross profit||Net revenue||EBITDA||Valuation (billions)|
|2022||$3,189 million||$2,229 million||$362 million||$925 million||$15.07 billion|
|2021||$2,983 million||$2,144 million||$278 million||$922 million||$40.81 billion|
|2020||$2,391 million||$1,755 million||$162 million||$795 million||$43.54 billion|
|2019||$2,051 million||$1,524 million||$454 million||$689 million||$19.67 billion|
|2018||$1,730 million||$1,320 million||$627 million||$586 million||$14.39 billion|
|2017||$3,307 million||$2,656 million||$305 million||$305 million||$9.71 billion|
|2016||$3,140 million||$2,384 million||$-41 million||$394 million||$5.04 billion|
|2015||$3,231 million||$2,453 million||$119 million||$396 million||$4.82 billion|
|2014||$3,110 million||$2,249 million||$415 million||$498 million||$4.79 billion|
|2013||$3,023 million||$2,046 million||$286 million||$545 million||$5.06 billion|
|2012||$2,801 million||$1,809 million||$159 million||$412 million||–|
|2011||$2,059 million||$1,306 million||$174 million||$277 million||–|
|2010||$1,637 million||$1,043 million||$99 million||$169 million||–|
|2009||$1,347 million||$917 million||$-979 million||$113 million||–|
In the close look at Match Group’s financial statements we also calculated the valuation of the entire company for each fiscal year.
|In 2022 Match Group was valued at $15.07 billion|
|In 2021 Match Group was valued at $40.81 billion|
|In 2020 Match Group was valued at $43.54 billion|
|In 2019 Match Group was valued at $19.67 billion|
|In 2018 Match Group was valued at $14.39 billion|
|In 2017 Match Group was valued at $9.71 billion|
|In 2016 Match Group was valued at $5.04 billion|
|In 2015 Match Group was valued at $4.82 billion|
|In 2014 Match Group was valued at $4.79 billion|
|In 2013 Match Group was valued at $5.06 billion|
From 2021 to 2022 Match Group lost -63% of it’s value.
However, from 2013 to 2022 Match Group’s valuation still tripled in size, from $5 billion to over $15 billion.
The most important aspect of looking at the users at Match.com is looking at the active user base. We defined this as all the users on Match.com, who have been active on the dating site or app during the mast 30 days.
This group has certain demographic characteristics that was mapped out to the following:
- Most users on Match.com are men, only 45% of Match.com users are women.
- Most users on Match.com are between 30 and 49 years old (45%).
- 82% of users on Match.com are over 30 years old.
- 41% of users on Match.com only have a high school degree, while 50% have a college degree, and around 9% have a graduate degree.
|Active Users on Match.com, Demographics||%|
|Education: High school degree||41.1%|
|Education: College degree||50.2%|
|Education: Graduate degree||8.7%|
|Race: Caucasian (white)||77.4%|
|Race: African American||9.3%|
- The average user on Match.com engages with the platform 3.2 times per day.
- Compared to Tinder, this is fairly high, the average Tinder user uses the platform 3.9 times per day.
The percent of users that engage daily is another data point frequently used to measure how popular a dating platform/app is.
- 50.5% of users on Match.com engage daily with the platform or their app.
- 55.4% of users on Tinder engage daily with the app.
Match Group facts
In the following we walk through the facts of the business behind Match.com.
- Bernard Jin Kim (45) – Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Gary Swidler (51) – President and Chief Financial Officer.
- Jared F. Sine (43) – Chief Business Affairs and Legal Officer and Secretary.
- Philip D. Eigenmann (51) – Chief Accounting Officer.
- Founding: Match.com was founded in 1993 by Gary Kremen and Peng T. Ong, and it was launched on April 21, 1995.
- Ownership: The platform is owned by Match Group Inc., which also owns other popular dating services like Tinder, OkCupid, and PlentyOfFish.
- Headquarters: Match.com is based in Dallas, Texas, United States.
- Available languages: The website is available in multiple languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and more.
- Global presence: Match.com operates in more than 50 countries and is available in 12 languages.
- Marriages: Match.com has been responsible for thousands of marriages. According to a study conducted in 2013, 17% of US marriages that occurred between 2005 and 2012 began on an online dating site, with Match.com responsible for nearly 25% of those marriages.
- LGBTQ+ friendly: Match.com is inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community and allows users to specify their sexual orientation and gender identity on their profiles.
- Subscription model: Match.com offers both free and paid subscriptions. Free users have limited access to features, while premium users can send and receive messages, view who has viewed their profile, and access other premium features.
- Success rate: Match.com claims to be responsible for more dates, relationships, and marriages than any other dating site.Mobile app: Match.com has a mobile app available for iOS and Android devices.