This is the biggest meta-study on the sexual act of one night stands. In the following we dive deep into te publicly available llongitudinal data of more than 52,620 survey respondents. We have identified key survey batteries to better capture survey respondents true behavior, and reportings on one night stands.
Fair Use Statement: Feel free to share our content for any commercial or noncommercial purposes. Just make sure our authors are given proper credit by linking to the findings in this article. To gain access to the full dataset please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 66% of people have had a one night stand.
- The average person reports an average of 5.8 one night stands in their lifetime (women report 5.1 and men 6.4).
- Americans on average have 10.7 sexual encounters and one night stands in their life.
- 86% of one night stands are not planned, but instead a spontaneous sexual act.
- 24.5% of people regret having a one-night stand.
How common are one night standards
- 66% of people have had a one night stand at one point in their life.
- 86% report that the one night stand happened spontaneously, while 14% planned it.
- The average person reports to have had 5.75 one night stands in their life.
- Women on average report to have had 5.1 one night stands, while men report to have had 6.4.
- On average Americans tends to have 1-2 sexual encounters they categorize as one night stands more than Europeans.
- 29% of 18 to 29 year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
- 63% of 30 to 39 year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
- 78% of 40 to 49 year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
- 71% of 50 to 59 year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
- 44% of 60 to 69 year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
- 36% of 70+ year olds report to have had a casual one night stand.
A similar trend is apparent when respondents in their 20s are asked to report on the number of sexual encounters they had in the past 12 months (some have been collected in previous decades).
We tabulated the data based on generations and gender.
The aftermath of a one time sexual encounter
- 43.5% of women does not disclose to anyone that they had a one night stand.
- 63.5% of men always tells someone whenever they had a one night stand.
- 43% of Americans don’t talk to their one night stand after (while only 29% of Europeans do not).
- 27.1% have contracted an STI through a one night stand.
- 24.5% of people regret having a one-night stand.
- 32% of American men report to feel very satisfied after one-night stands.
- 18% of American women report to feel very satisfied after one-night stands.
- 59% of American men think about the one night stand as a positive experience, compared to jsut 28% of women.
Opinions towards casual sex
- 81% of adults report they like having sex.
- 55% say that their preffered form of casual sex is with one night stands.
- 32% think that one night stands are wrong.
- 49% of sexual encounters that people beleive are one night stands develop into longer term sexual relationships.
- 34.5% of men and 26.5% of women prefer to have one night stands to satisfy sexual needs when traveling.
- 58% of women regret one night stands while only 23% of men do the same.
In a big survey amongst 15,162 respondents the following opinions towards one night stands came to light:
|: Always wrong||16%||21%||28%||30%||36%||49%||22%||28%|
|: Mostly wrong||15%||14%||16%||23%||24%||23%||15%||19%|
|: Sometimes wrong||35%||31%||29%||25%||21%||13%||32%||27%|
|: Rarely wrong||15%||12%||7%||6%||4%||5%||11%||8%|
|: Not wrong at all||19%||22%||20%||17%||14%||10%||20%||17%|
|: Always/mostly wrong||31%||35%||44%||52%||60%||71%||37%||47%|
|: Rarely wrong/not wrong at all||34%||34%||26%||22%||19%||15%||31%||26%|
|: Always wrong||28%||28%||33%||41%||52%||66%||30%||40%|
|: Mostly wrong||23%||16%||20%||25%||27%||23%||20%||22%|
|: Sometimes wrong||31%||32%||26%||22%||15%||6%||29%||23%|
|: Rarely wrong||8%||9%||6%||4%||2%||1%||8%||5%|
|: Not wrong at all||9%||15%||15%||8%||4%||3%||13%||9%|
|: Always/mostly wrong||52%||45%||53%||66%||79%||89%||50%||62%|
|: Rarely wrong/not wrong at all||17%||24%||21%||12%||6%||4%||21%||15%|
|: Always wrong||22%||25%||31%||36%||44%||58%||26%||34%|
|: Mostly wrong||19%||15%||18%||24%||26%||23%||18%||21%|
|: Sometimes wrong||33%||32%||28%||24%||18%||10%||31%||25%|
|: Rarely wrong||12%||11%||7%||5%||3%||3%||10%||7%|
|: Not wrong at all||14%||19%||18%||13%||9%||7%||17%||13%|
|: Always/mostly wrong||42%||40%||49%||59%||70%||80%||44%||55%|
|: Rarely wrong/not wrong at all||26%||29%||24%||17%||13%||10%||26%||21%|
- Finland is the country with the highest likelihood of having a one night stand – or in other words Finland is the most promiscuous country.
- New Zealand is the second most promiscuous country on the list.
- Slovenia is the third most likely country where people would have one night stands.
We also found that a lot of the same countries are repeatedly present on a list of who has the highest number of total sexual partners (body count):
|#||Country||Average no. of sexual partners, lifetime|
|19||Serbia & Montenegro||10.1|
Other studies on one night stands
|Paper title||Authors||Year||Population||Main findings|
|[One-night-stand behavior and associated factors among young men who have sex with men in Wuhan, China].||Y. Mao, C. Xiao, T. Wang, S. Y. Li, H. Yan||2017||403 young men who have sex with men (YMSM) in Wuhan, China aged 16 to 25|
• 48.99% of YMSM reported having had casual sex in the last 6 months.
|Level of Sexual Health Knowledge and One-Night Stand Relationships among University Students||S. Jahanfar, Z. Khalaf||2022||804 mostly female university students|
• There is a positive relationship between the level of knowledge and a belief in one-night stand relationships.
|Hook, Line and Sinker: Do Tinder Matches and Meet Ups Lead to One-Night Stands?||Trond Viggo Grøntvedt, Mons Bendixen, Ernst Olav Botnen, Leif Edward Ottesen Kennair||2019||269 students, 62% of which are women|
• A large number of Tinder matches are required for a small number of meet ups, and result in a limited number of hook-ups or potential romantic partner meetings.
|Serosorting and sexual risk behaviour according to different casual partnership types among MSM: the study of one-night stands and sex buddies||W. Van Den Boom, I. Stolte, T. Sandfort, U. Davidovich||2012||The median age of 461 HIV negative men is 35 (IQR=31-39)|
• Men with a sex buddy were more likely to have UAI than men with a one-night stand.
|Casual sexual relationships: Identifying definitions for one night stands, booty calls, fuck buddies, and friends with benefits||Jocelyn J. Wentland, E. Reissing||2014||885 men and women|
• A majority of men and women accurately identified the corresponding labels for One Night Stand, Booty Call, Fuck Buddy, and Friends with Benefits relationships.
|School and Parental Factors Associated with One-Night Stand, Condom Use at Sexual Debut and Multiple Sexual Partners||Tunde Adeyemo Alabi, John Lekan Oyefara, Waziri Babatunde Adisa||2020||450 male and female respondents aged 22.7 +/ 3.98 years in Nigeria|
• Institutional type and parents’ marriage significantly influenced involvement in one-night stand.
|One Night Stand||D. Eichel||2016||Health conditions does not|
• One night stands are a common occurrence among young adults.
|“One-night stands” — risky trips between lust and trust: qualitative interviews with Chlamydia trachomatis infected youth in north Sweden||Monica Christianson, E. Johansson, M. Emmelin, G. Westman||2003||9 young people (5 women and 4 men) aged 18-22 in Umeå, Sweden were diagnosed with Chlamydia trachomatis|
• Behind sexual risk-taking was a drive to “go steady”.
|Positioning the Booty-Call Relationship on the Spectrum of Relationships: Sexual but More Emotional Than One-Night Stands||P. Jonason, Norman P. Li, Jessica Richardson||2011||123 men and women, with an average age of 21.58 years (SD ¼ 4.59), who have had 1 night stands, long term relationships, or both in the last year.|
• Booty-call relationships are distinct from one-night stands and serious long-term relationships, characterized by frequent sexual acts and infrequent handholding.
|Netralisasi Perilaku Seks Bebas (One Night Stand) pada Perempuan Dewasa Muda (Studi Kasus 2 Perempuan Dewasa Muda)||S. Silvia||2009||2 young women|
• The research found that young women who committed one night stand sex used techniques of neutralization based on Sykes & Matza’s theory.
|“Someone naughty for tonight”: sex partner recruitment venues and associated STI risk||S. Aral, L. Manhart||2009|
• Patterns of sex partner recruitment have changed over the past few decades, and are associated with rates of formation and dissolution of sex partnerships.
|Engagement in one-night stands in Germany and Spain: Does personality matter?||Kai Kaspar, Lene Vanessa Buß, Josef Rogner, Timo Gnambs||2016||913 young adults from Germany and Spain, 759 women and 154 men|
• Extraversion and sensation seeking are the strongest predictors of engagement in one-night stands in both Germany and Spain.
|Drugs and alcohol consumption and sexual behaviours in night recreational settings in Portugal.||Lurdes Lomba, J. Apóstolo, F. Mendes||2009||1142 young people who attend nightlife leisure locations in 9 Portuguese cities.|
• Portuguese young people regularly attend nightlife leisure locations and consume alcohol and drugs.
|A hangover and a one-night stand: Alcohol and risky sexual behaviour among female students at an Australian university||Heidi E Gilchrist, Kylie M. Smith, C. Magee, Sandra C. Jones||2012||female university students in Australia|
• Excessive alcohol consumption and heavy episodic drinking is increasingly common among female university students.
|Patterns of Alcohol Consumption and Sexual Behavior among Young Adults in Nightclubs||Brooke E. Wells, B. Kelly, S. Golub, C. Grov, J. Parsons||2010||369 young adults, evenly split between males and females, in New York City nightclubs|
• 52% of participants reported binge drinking on drinking days.
|The Link of Sexual Sensation Seeking to Acceptance of Cybersex, Multiple Sexual Partners, and One-Night Stands Among Taiwanese College Students||Hung-Yi Lu, L. Ma, Tsai-Shin Lee, Hsin-Ya Hou, H. Liao||2014||516 Taiwanese college students|
• A cross-sectional study was conducted using the multistage cluster sampling method with 516 Taiwanese college students.
|Prevalence and patterns of same-gender sexual contact among men.||R. Fay, C. Turner, A. D. Klassen, J. Gagnon||1989||adult men in the United States|
• Estimates from a 1970 national survey indicate that 20.3% of adult men in the US had sexual contact with another man at some point in their life, 6.7% after age 19, and between 1.6-2.0% within the last year.
|Unprotected Intercourse and One-Night Stands: Impact of Sexual Excitation, Sexual Inhibition, and Atypical Sexual Arousal Patterns on Risky Sexual Behaviors in Women.||Julia Velten, Saskia Scholten, Cynthia A Graham, Jürgen Margraf||2016||2,214 women with a mean age of 30.65 years|
• Sexual excitation and inhibition were positively and negatively correlated with risky sexual behaviors in women.
|Exploring the Venue’s Role in Risky Sexual Behavior Among Gay and Bisexual Men: An Event-Level Analysis from a National Online Survey in the U.S.||Christian Grov, Sabina Hirshfield, Robert H. Remien, Mike Humberstone, Mary Ann Chiasson||2013||2,865 gay and bisexual men in the United States who reported oral and/or anal sex with a new (1st time) male partner in their last encounter|
• Most men (62%) met their partner through the Internet.
|Unweaving the Rainbow of Human Sexuality: A Review of One-Night Stands, Serious Romantic Relationships, and the Relationship Space in Between||Peter K. Jonason, Rhonda Nicole Balzarini||2016|
• Relationship researchers have revealed a rainbow of potential relationships that individuals can and do engage in, which may act as “compromises” between two extremes.
|Night Moves: A Qualitative Investigation of Street-Level Sex Work||Rochelle L. Dalla||2002||43 female street level sex workers aged 19 to 56 years old in a midsized Midwestern city.|
• Most participants reported developing emotional relationships and having children with clients, former clients, or pimps.
|Social Exchange and Social/physical Topography of One-Night Stands in College-Age Students||W. Marelich, J. Graham||2013||28 students aged 18 to 24 years old who attend a large university in Southern California|
• Social Exchange Theory can be used to explain the sexual decision-making process of one-night stands in college-aged students.
|The pleasures of drunken one-night stands: Assemblage theory and narrative environments.||Willy Pedersen, Sébastien Tutenges, Sveinung Sandberg||2017||104 young Norwegian heavy drinkers aged 25 (SD = 3.7) who partied hard and often participated in the NTE.|
• Alcohol-fuelled sexual explorations are of paramount importance for young partygoers.
|Sex Partner Concurrency: Measurement, Prevalence, and Correlates Among Urban 18–39-Year-Olds||L. Manhart, S. Aral, K. Holmes, B. Foxman||2002||637 urban 18-39-year olds, both female and male|
• Men reported concurrency more frequently than women.
|Sexual behaviour of young people in international tourist resorts||M. Bellis, K. Hughes, R. Thomson, A. Bennett||2004||around 1500 young people aged 16-34, male and female, visiting international nightlife resorts, specifically Ibiza.|
• Over half of individuals (56.0%) visiting Ibiza had sex with at least one person, with 26.2% of males and 14.5% of females having sex with more than one individual.
|The sexual behavior of men in the United States.||J. Billy, K. Tanfer, W. Grady, D. Klepinger||1993||3,321 men aged 20-39 in the United States|
• 95% of men aged 20-39 have had vaginal intercourse, with 23% having had 20 or more partners in their lifetime.
|Drinking and sexual experience on first dates among adolescents.||M L Cooper, Holly K. Orcutt||1997||1,678 and 1,780 adolescents and young adults|
• Alcohol use was associated with a higher probability of intercourse among males on first dates.
|Multiple sexual partners among U.S. adolescents and young adults.||J. Santelli, N. Brener, R. Lowry, A. Bhatt, L. Zabin||1998||8,450 males and females aged 14-22 who participated in the 1992 Youth Risk Behavior Survey|
• 63% of female respondents and 64% of males were sexually experienced.
|Use of Multiple Sex Venues and Prevalence of HIV Risk Behavior: Identifying High-Risk Men Who Have Sex with Men||Zachary Y. Kerr, Lance M. Pollack, William J. Woods, Johnny Blair, Diane Binson||2015||459 people in their 30s and 40s in United States who are patrons of 2 specific bathhouses|
• 63.5% of bathhouse patrons visited a bathhouse in the 3 months before the current bathhouse visit.
|Sexual-risk behaviour, self-perceived risk and knowledge of sexually transmissible infections among young Australians attending a music festival.||M. Lim, M. Hellard, C. Aitken, J. Hocking||2007||939 young people aged 16 to 29 years attending a music festival called the Big Day Out in Australia|
• 80% of participants had ever had vaginal or anal sex.
|Alcohol use, partner type, and risky sexual behavior among college students: Findings from an event-level study.||Jennifer L Brown, Peter A Vanable||2007||547 mostly female college students at least 18 years old who reported having vaginal sex during their most recent sexual encounter|
• Alcohol use is prevalent among college students and may contribute to elevated rates of sexual risk taking.
|Drinking and sexual experience on first dates among adolescents.||M. L. Cooper, H. Orcutt||1997||1,678 and 1,780 adolescents and young adults|
• Alcohol use was associated with a higher probability of intercourse among males on first dates.
|The role of substance use in same-day intimate partner violence: A review of the literature||Dorien Maria de Bruijn, Ireen Maria de Graaf||2016||Invalid information|
• Alcohol use increases the likelihood of physical violence on the same day for both men and women.
|Blame It on the Alcohol: The Influence of Alcohol Consumption During Adolescence, the Transition to Adulthood, and Young Adulthood on One-Time Sexual Hookups||Matthew D Johnson, Jiawen Chen||2015||3,733 adolescents, individuals in the transition to adulthood, and young adults|
• A confirmatory factor analysis revealed alcohol use, binge drinking, and drunkenness are consistent indicators of a latent alcohol consumption variable over time, although the mean levels of the indicators were significantly lower during adolescence.
|Does drinking lead to sex? Daily alcohol-sex behaviors and expectancies among college students.||M. Patrick, J. Maggs||2009||218 1st year, full time students at a large state university in the Northeastern U.S., who were 18 to 20 years of age, and were U.S. citizens|
• Consuming more drinks on a given day was associated with a greater likelihood of oral sex and with experiencing more positive consequences of sex that day.