If you enjoy anal play or are looking to try it out, a set of anal beads is the perfect addition to your sex toy collection.
The beaded shape creates a unique sensation that sends ripples of pleasure through the sensitive nerve endings in your anus with each movement.
These underrated and often overlooked sex toys have a lot to offer.
As well as adding a little anal excitement to solo or partner play, you will be amazed by what they can do to your orgasms. Not only that, you can pick up a good quality set of silicone beads for under $20. That’s a pretty good pleasure to price ratio if you ask me!
There are anal beads out there for levels, from beginners to advanced and plenty of ways to use them alone or with a partner.
Every bedside table or sex toy stash is better off with a set of anal beads, in my humble opinion! Don’t worry, if you are not sure how to use anal beads, read on for how to get the most pleasure out of these fantastic little toys!
How do anal beads work?
Anal beads offer dynamic stimulation as the beads move in and out as opposed to the static, full feeling stimulation of a butt plug.
As each bead is pushed in through the anus, it stimulates all the sensitive nerve endings in and around the anus. They also provide some internal massage, as each bead moves further inside.
For penis owners, this can stimulate the prostate gland (also known as the p-spot or male g-spot), whereas vulva owners can enjoy stimulation through the wall between the anal and vaginal canals.
This makes them perfect for some blissful blended orgasms when paired with other types of stimulation.
Anal beads often also allow for deeper stimulation than other anal toys due to the long, thin design.
What do anal beads feel like?
As the anal beads are inserted, the anus and sphincters open and close, creating a rippling stimulation. The anus is dense with sensitive nerve endings that are excited as the anus stretches over each bead.
The beads also provide some internal stimulation, but the level depends on the size and shape of the beads.
The main event for most people is the shivering pleasure as each bead pops out upon removal, and if you can time this with an orgasm, you’ll get an orgasm turbo boost that will leave you trembling with pleasure.
Tips for Using Anal Beads
Here are some top tips for how to use anal beads for the first time.
- Some people feel more comfortable trying out their anal beads alone the first time rather than with a partner. Always choose whatever you feel most comfortable with.
- Choose a flexible set of anal beads made from silicone.
- Choose anal beads that start out very small at the tip and gradually get bigger. The Fifty Shades of Grey Pleasure Intensified Anal Beads are a perfect starter set.
- Breathe deeply to help relax the muscles around the anus.
- If you are nervous, trying out your anal beads in the shower is a great option. The warm water will help you relax your muscles, and you don’t need to worry about any possible mess.
- Have something like a towel or plastic tub to put your anal beads in when you take them out.
How to Insert Anal Beads
- Empty your bowels before using anal beads.
- Gently clean your anus. The easiest way to do this is in the shower. You can use a flexible tipped douche to rinse the lower part of your rectum and anus if you want to, but it is not necessary.
- Apply some lube to your anal beads. Thick water-based lubrication designed for anal play is a great option as it can be used with silicone anal beads.
- Massage the area around the anus to get yourself aroused and help relax your muscles.
- Slowly insert the first bead, let yourself adjust, and enjoy the sensation.
- Slowly insert the next couple of beads, gradually adding more as you like. There’s no need to rush, and going slow allows you to enjoy the sensations more.
- Experiment with moving the beads in and out to create more stimulation.
How to Use Anal Beads
Slowly Insert and Remove the Anal Beads
Or, as I like to call it, the anal bead hokey pokey.
Use the base or looped handle to slowly move the beads in and out of the anus. The beads will stimulate the sensitive nerve endings in and around the anus, making for a rippling pleasure that will no doubt leave you wanting more.
This can feel great as a stand-alone or when combined with other types of stimulation, such as masturbating, using sex toys.
Remove the Anal Beads as You Orgasm
Just as you feel you are about to orgasm, remove the anal beads. The rippling rush of pleasure from removing the anal beads can boost your orgasm to whole new heights and even make your orgasm last longer as you pull out each bead.
It can be tricky to get the timing right, so try to listen to your body’s signals to work out when an orgasm is approaching. This also works fantastically during partner play if you can let your partner the right time to remove the beads.
Once you are comfortable using anal beads, you can step it up a notch and add a little more excitement with some temperature play. Anal beads made of glass or stainless steel anal beads can be gently heated or cooled in warm or cold water before insertion to create thrilling new sensations.
Temperature play can be particularly exciting when playing with a partner as it adds to the anticipation, especially if you don’t know which temperature you will be getting.
SAFETY: The tissue in and around your anus is very sensitive, so never use extreme temperatures with your anal beads.
How to Use Anal Beads With a Partner
Anal beads are a great addition to partner sex, as you can use them during penetrative sex, hand jobs, or oral sex.
It can also be thrilling to just have your partner move them slowly in and out of you during foreplay to build arousal and anticipation. You can use your hands to masturbate and they get to enjoy the show!
Anal Bead Power Play
Give your partner the power to pop your anal beads in and out, you’ll enjoy the anticipation and they get to enjoy the show!
Anal beads and…
Combine using your anal beads with other forms of stimulation. We think the shuddery bliss of anal beads pairs wonderfully with some oral sex, hand fun, or vaginal penetration.
Anal Bead and Cock Ring Combo
If you want to keep your hands free and use anal beads during penetrative sex, a cock ring with added anal beads is the perfect solution!
The ring can be slipped over a penis or dildo, and you will get all the pleasure of the beads moving perfectly in time with your partner’s thrusts.
As a bonus, if the wearer has a penis, the ring will provide some slight restriction that can help enhance their erection and keep them harder for longer.
Different Types of Anal Beads to Try
Basic anal beads are just the beginning. Once you get comfortable with the standard anal beads, there are plenty of variations to explore, each offering a new sensation or way to play. Here are some of the key things to consider when shopping for anal beads:
- What material are they made of? Check out the section on materials below
- How big is the distance between the balls and how thick is the string? Balls that are very close together will give a more rippling sensation whereas balls that are further apart with a thinner string will give more time and anticipation between each pop!
- What size beads do you prefer? Anal beads with a wider diameter will give a more intense stretching sensation whereas long, thin beads are great for deep penetration.
- Do you prefer something flexible like silicone or rigid like glass or stainless steel? I would recommend flexible silicone anal beads if you are just getting started or if you want long anal beads for deep penetration.
- Do you want any extra features such as vibrations or added cock ring?
These vibrating anal beads from Rocks Off take the stimulation up a notch giving you a whole new experience. There’s something about vibrations that our nerve endings just seem to love, and the anus is no exception.
You can enjoy the blissful buzzy sensations with the beads fully inserted or add some extra oomph as you move the beads in and out.
If you enjoy your vibrating anal beads, there are plenty of other vibrating anal toys to choose from, including vibrating butt plugs and probes.
Curved Anal Beads
Curved anal beads are fantastic for massaging the prostate gland (p-spot or male g-spot) as you or your partner moves them in and out.
The p-spot is a powerful pleasure center in penis owners that even has its own orgasm separate from the penile orgasm.
The larger middle anal beads in this set from Tracey Cox provide some extra stretch as the beads are inserted and removed and enhance the internal stimulation.
If you are looking for a little more stretch and sensation from your anal beads, you can go for a beaded plug. This beaded butt plug from Lovehoney has a diameter of 1.35 inches and no space between the beads.
You get all the goodness of the rippling beads combined with the fuller sensation of a butt plug. You can also get long anal beads.
Huge Anal Beads
If you crave some serious size, these giant balls from the aptly named company Cannonballs will give you that and then some!
These giant anal beads keep the traditional ball and silicone cord structure, just on a much bigger scale.
With each ball measuring 2.38 inches in diameter, these are definitely for the more advanced anal bead users out there!
What Are the Best Materials for Anal Beads?
When shopping for anal beads, you want to look for materials that are non-porous and non-toxic, like silicone, stainless steel, or glass.
If you do have a toy that is made from a porous material, it’s best to use it with a condom to prevent bacteria from growing in the toy.
Silicone anal beads are perfect for beginners and more experienced users alike.
They are flexible, making them comfortable to use, and they quickly adjust to your body temperature. Silicone is easy to clean as it is non-porous and can be boiled to be sterilized (if there are no electrical parts).
Glass Anal Beads
Trust me here, glass, more specifically borosilicate glass, makes for a fantastic sex toy material. The firmness provides a more intense stimulation than silicone.
Glass anal beads can be used with any type of lubrication, and the smooth surface gives it a fantastic slide. It is incredibly strong and can be heated and cooled for temperature play.
It’s also really easy to clean and can be boiled for sterilization. Not to mention, there are some really beautiful designs to choose from that look more like small pieces of art than anal beads!
Stainless steel has many of the same advantages as glass when it comes to anal beads.
Stainless steel anal beads are strong, smooth, compatible with any type of lubrication, and can be heated and cooled for temperature play.
It’s also easy to clean and can be boiled. Some people also find the sleek look and cool feel of stainless steel to be incredibly arousing!
Anal Bead Safety
As with any sexual activity, it’s important to follow some simple safe use guidelines to keep you happy and safe!
- Any anal toy must have a flared base or loop to prevent the toy from being fully inserted. Toys can travel up inside the rectum, which can be very dangerous.
- Always opt for non-toxic, body-safe materials.
- Always start out slow and small and work your way to bigger sizes gradually.
- If you feel any pain or notice any bleeding, stop immediately and assess the situation.
- Make sure to clean your anal beads before and after each use. Be sure to clean around each bead carefully. You can clean silicone, glass, and steel anal beads using soap and water or a sex toy cleaner. You can also boil silicone, glass, or steel anal beads to sterilize them.
- Never use the same toys in the vagina and anus, as this can spread bacteria and cause an infection.
- Do not share anal toys unless used with a condom.
What Are Anal Beads?
Anal beads can come in different forms but all share the beaded form.
The beads can be joined by a flexible cord or attached to each other. You should always opt for a silicone cord for hygiene reasons. Anal beads are designed to stimulate your anus as you move them in and out.
What’s the difference between butt plugs and anal beads?
Anal beads are different from butt plugs.
Whereas anal beads create stimulation with movement, butt plugs are designed to be worn in the anus, creating a feeling of fullness that massages the prostate in penis owners and the vaginal wall in vulva owners.
Anal beads are just one of the many wonderful ways to treat your butt to some blissful sensations.