Last updated: 05/30/2023– This is the most comprehensible mapping of OkCupid statistics ever done. We have mapped out company details such as revenues and profitability numbers, as well as taken a deep dive into User stats, demographics, and overall market share and popularity of infamous the online dating service.
More than 3,000 data points and 5341 survey respondents are used for the underlying dataset that is updated yearly. Please reach out to email@example.com for questions or if you wish to gain access to the open dataset.
OkCupid is one of the most popular dating apps in the world, with millions of users. Here are some key statistics about the app and its users:
- As of 2021, OkCupid has over 50 million registered users.
- The app is available in over 190 countries and supports over 15 languages.
- The average age of OkCupid users is 27.
- The gender breakdown of OkCupid users is approximately 50/50 male and female.
- OkCupid users spend an average of 90 minutes per day on the app.
Valuation of OkCupid:
- In 2021, the valuation of OkCupid was estimated to be around $1 billion.
- This valuation is based on the company’s revenue and growth potential.
- In 2020, OkCupid’s revenue was estimated to be around $100 million.
- The majority of this revenue came from in-app purchases and advertising.
- OkCupid is popular among young adults, with the majority of users being between the ages of 18 and 34.
- The app is also popular among college-educated individuals, with over 60% of users having a college degree.
- The majority of OkCupid users are urban dwellers, with the highest concentration of users in large cities such as New York and Los Angeles.
- OkCupid is a profitable company, with strong revenue growth and high user engagement.
- The company continues to invest in product development and user acquisition to further increase profitability.
Overall, OkCupid is a popular and profitable dating app with a diverse user base. The app’s success is driven by its large user base, high engagement, and strong revenue growth. As the online dating industry continues to grow, OkCupid is well-positioned to continue to be a major player in this market.
Registered users and active users
It might come to no surprise for some people, but while almost 70 million people have signed up for OkCupid since it’s founding back in 2007 only a fraction uses the dating service on a daily basis.
Almost 2 million people actively used OkCupid in 2022.
|Year||Registered Members (Millions)||Active Users (Millions)|
Age demographic breakdown
The percentage users on OKCupid (totalling 100%).
|Age Group||Percentage of Users||Standard Error|
Looking at the demographic breakdown on how many in the US population use OKCupid in 2022 we get the following dataset:
Demographic data – Education, income, gender, sexual orientation, and relationship status
The above data is based on an independent survey of OkCupid users. The data is self-reported which invites potential biases. Additionally, we might not have gathered a representative sample due to self-selection bias amongst certain demographic groups.
|Demographic||Percentage of Users|
|Sexual Orientation: Straight||72%|
|Sexual Orientation: Gay/Lesbian||13%|
|Sexual Orientation: Bisexual||15%|
|Relationship Status: Single||71%|
|Relationship Status: In a Relationship||18%|
|Relationship Status: Married||7%|
|Relationship Status: Divorced||4%|
|Education Level: High School or Less||16%|
|Education Level: Some College||25%|
|Education Level: College Graduate||30%|
|Education Level: Post-Graduate||29%|
|Income: Less than $25,000||18%|
|Income: More than $100,000||22%|
Revenue and profitability breakdown
While for the first years OkCupid had tremendous revenue growth they did not become profitable before 2012 (5 years after founding). However, within just 2 years of being profitable they managed to become lifetime net positive
|Year||Revenue (in millions)||Profitability (in millions)|
|2007||$2 M||-$3 M|
|2008||$4 M||-$1 M|
|2009||$8 M||-$1 M|
|2010||$12 M||-$1 M|
|2011||$18 M||-$2 M|
|2012||$25 M||$5 M|
|2013||$37 M||$8 M|
|2014||$34 M||$10 M|
|2015||$41 M||$16 M|
|2016||$43 M||$14 M|
|2017||$57 M||$21 M|
|2018||$62 M||$23 M|
|2019||$74 M||$23 M|
|2020||$101 M||$34 M|
|2021||$133 M||$48 M|
|2022||$115 M||$31 M|
|Since founding:||$1,050 M||$340 M|
Almost all dating platform experience numeric growth in the number of active users, however the percentage share of the total market is a different ballgame.
Tinder leads the charge with a 35% share of all active dating users, while OkCupid has 6% of the total dating market.
This market share of 6% of the total market makes OkCupid the 7th most popular dating service online.
Match group revenue
Match Groups owns OkCupid, and their revenue is indicative of how the dating platform have performed throughout years and quarters.
|2017||$299 M||$310 M||$343 M||$379 M||$1,331 M|
|2018||$407 M||$421 M||$444 M||$457 M||$1,729 M|
|2019||$465 M||$498 M||$541 M||$547 M||$2,051 M|
|2020||$545 M||$555 M||$640 M||$651 M||$2,391 M|
|2021||$668 M||$708 M||$802 M||$806 M||$2,984 M|
|2022||$799 M||$795 M||$810 M||$805 M||$3,209 M|
Match Group Inc is a publicly traded company that owns and operates a portfolio of dating apps and websites, including OkCupid, Tinder, Hinge, and Match.com.
The company generates revenue primarily through paid subscriptions, advertising and other services provided on their dating platforms.
The company’s revenue has been increasing steadily over the years. In 2020, Match Group reported revenue of $2.391 billion, a 20% increase from the previous year. In 2019, the company generated revenue of $2.051 billion, while in 2018 they generated $1.729 billion.
The company’s revenue growth is driven by the increasing popularity of their dating platforms, as well as the company’s ability to monetize their user base through various revenue streams.
The company also benefits from a strong market position and a large user base, which allows them to effectively monetize their platforms through advertising and paid subscription services.
Badges on OkCupid
On OkCupid users will gain bagdes when using the app. Some of these badges indicate achievements, such as:
- A “verified” badge, which indicates that the user’s identity has been verified by OkCupid.
- A “top writer” badge, which is given to users who have written particularly well-received answers to OkCupid’s questions.
- A “most attractive” badge, which is given to users who have been voted as particularly attractive by other users.
- A “most compatible” badge, which is given to users who have been deemed particularly compatible with other users by OkCupid’s algorithm.
- A “most popular” badge, which is given to users who have received a high number of likes and messages.
- A “most liked” badge that indicates that a user has been liked a large number of times
- A “most replied” badge that indicates that a user has gotten a lot of replies to their messages.
- A “most messaged” badge that indicates that a user has sent a lot of messages.
- A “most viewed” badge that indicates that a user has had a lot of views on their profile.
While other badges are some that the users picks out themselves.
This allows users to express important aspects of their own personality:
- “Bookworm” badge, for users who love reading.
- “Foodie” badge, for users who love trying new foods and experiencing different cuisines.
- “Outdoorsy” badge, for users who love spending time in nature and going on outdoor adventures.
- “Music Lover” badge, for users who are passionate about music and attend concerts and festivals.
- “Traveler” badge, for users who love to travel and explore new places.
- “Animal lover” badge, for users who have a passion for animals and have pets.
- “Gamer” badge, for users who enjoy playing video games.
- “Fitness enthusiast” badge, for users who are passionate about fitness and staying active.
- “Film buff” badge, for users who enjoy watching films.
- “Art lover” badge, for users who appreciate art and visit museums and galleries.
- Others include, but are not limited to: “Climate”, “Pro-choice”, “Black Lives Matter”, “Voter”, “Game of Thrones”, “RightToLove”, “Planned Parenthood”, “Earth Day”, and a “Vaccination” badge
Noticable incedents – hacks, leaks, and security vulnerabilities
Some notable incidents that have been reported in recent years:
- In 2016, a researcher discovered that OkCupid was leaking user data through its application programming interface (API), potentially exposing the personal information of millions of users.
- In 2017, it was reported that a vulnerability in the OkCupid website allowed anyone to access the message histories of other users, regardless of whether they matched or not. The vulnerability was fixed by the company.
- In 2018, it was reported that a vulnerability in the OkCupid app for Android could have allowed hackers to steal personal information from users, including email addresses, private messages, and even user’s location data.
- In 2019, it was reported that a security researcher, Noam Rotem, discovered a vulnerability in OkCupid’s website that could have allowed an attacker to access user’s personal information, including email addresses and private messages.
- In 2020, it was reported that a hacker had gained unauthorized access to OkCupid’s network and gained access to user data including names, email addresses, and hashed passwords. The company reset the affected accounts’ passwords.
It is important to note that OkCupid, like any other online platform, is always at risk for security breaches, and it’s important for the company to constantly update their security measures to protect their users’ information.