Whether you are a backdoor beginner or you are more adept in the anal arts, choosing the right size butt plug for the occasion can be tricky. First and foremost, you want to make sure you are comfortable, but you also want a good level of stimulation — that’s the whole point, after all!
But first, you might be wondering why would you even want to use a butt plug in the first place?
- The anus is rich with sensitive nerve endings that respond to different types of stimulation, such as touch, heat, pressure, and friction, all of which can feel extremely pleasurable.
- The full sensation from a butt plug provides internal stimulation. For people with penises, butt plugs can stimulate the prostate, which can give you a prostate orgasm. For people with vulvas, butt plugs can enhance stimulation of the vaginal canal, which can feel fantastic when paired with vaginal penetration.
- They can be worn in public or as you go about your everyday activities for some added kink. The sensations from the plug as you move or simply knowing your sexy secret can keep you aroused throughout the day.
- They can be used in BDSM — a dom may require that their sub wears an anal plug.
- They can be used for anal training to prepare you for anal sex or larger toys.
Butt Plug Anatomy
While there are endless exciting design features to choose from, all butt plugs have some similarities. Starting at the bottom — seems appropriate, it is absolutely vital that any toy you plan to use anally has a flared base to prevent it from being fully inserted, traveling up inside you, and requiring a visit to emergency to care to retrieve it.
Next, there is a neck that your anal sphincters will contract around, holding the plug in place, followed by the body of the plug. Butt plugs also have a tapered end that makes for easy insertion.
The two measurements you need to think about when buying a buttplug are the insertable length, i.e., how far inside you it will go and the diameter or how wide it is. Some websites use diameter (the measurement across the width of the plug) and some use circumference (the distance around the outside of the plug), so be careful to check which one is given.
We’ll talk about the diameter today as it’s easier to picture but if you want to work out the circumference here’s how you do it:
Circumference = diameter x π, or 3.14
Butt Plug Size Guide
This chart is an estimation of different butt plug sizes, but just like clothing sizes, not all shops will classify small, medium, and large in the same way. This means it’s super important to always check the measurements, as you don’t want to be left with something that’s too big to even attempt or too small to bother with.
There are no hard and fast rules for choosing butt plugs as every butt is unique. As well as your physiology, how comfortable you feel will play a factor in which size you should choose. If you are nervous, you are likely to tense your muscles more, making it better to go for a smaller size. With anal play, it’s always best to go slow and steady. Start out with a smaller plug, get used to that, enjoy it, and then move onto a bigger size if you want to!
Complete Beginners – Extra Small Butt Plugs
If you are completely new to any kind of anal penetration, have a very small body, or are nervous about putting anything up your bum, start with an extra small plug. Take a look at our guide to small anal toys and consider a small anal bead to begin with.
These are usually under 1-inch in diameter, making them very slim. Depending on your body, you might not feel a lot of stimulation from a plug this size, but it’s great for giving you an idea of whether you enjoy anal play and getting used to the sensation.
Lovehoney’s Classic Extra Petite Beginner’s Butt Plug is just 0.8 inches in diameter and has an insertable length of two inches, making it similar to the first two knuckles of a finger.
Beginners – Small Butt Plugs
Small plugs are generally in the size range of 1-1.25 inches in diameter and small butt plugs are also suitable for first-time users. If you aren’t nervous about trying a butt plug or have experience with anal play before, for example with a finger, then you might want to try a small plug to get a bit more stimulation.
The small butt plug from Colors Pleasures has an insertable length of 4 inches and a diameter of 1.25 inches, with a long tapered design, making it a breeze to insert.
Some Anal Experience – Medium Butt Plugs
Medium butt plugs are going to be around the 1.25-1.5 inch mark. The average size of an erect penis is 1.5 inches, so if you have had anal sex before or have used a finger or two, you might want to opt for this size. At this size, you also might want to try a bulbed-shaped plug for a fuller sensation.
These Naughty Candy Heart Plugs from Blush’s Play With Me range are both incredibly cute and a little bit naughty, with secret messages inscribed on the bottom. They measure 3.5 inches in length and measure 1.5 inches in diameter.
Experienced – Large Butt Plugs
Now we are getting to the big boys! Large plugs are best suited to people with experience of using medium size butt plugs or those comfortable with anal sex with a penis or dildo. Large butt plugs tend to be around 1.75 – 2 inches in diameter and will give a satisfyingly full stretch.
There’s a large variation in what different companies define as large, so be sure to check the measurements. For example, Mood Naughty’s large plug has an insertable length of 5.5 inches a diameter of 1.25 inches, whereas Lovehoney’s Large Classic Silicone Butt Plug has an insertable length of 5.5 inches and a diameter of 2 inches. It might not sound like much of a difference to you, but it sure is to your butt!
Size Lovers – Extra Large
From here on out we’ve reached sizes of eye-watering proportions. These booty-filling behemoths, usually above 2 inches in diameter, will provide intense feelings of fullness and stretching and are best reserved for anal aficionados that crave super size sensations. You will need to prepare for butt plugs of this size by gradually using smaller plugs to build up your tolerance over time and by with an extensive warm-up using smaller toys before you try to insert an extra-large plug.
You might be thinking, what’s the biggest size butt plug out there?
While there could possibly be bigger plugs lurking somewhere on the web, Doc Johnson’s TitanMen Large Ass Servant is definitely a contender for the biggest butt plug. With a whopping 3.81 inch diameter and 6 inches of insertable length, this is bound to keep all the size kings and queens out there amused. I respect anyone out there who loves the challenge and stretch of a large plug, but I’m pretty sure my anus constructed a reinforced iron gate just looking at this! Consider this guide to the best anal stretchers or even this guide to an inflatable butt plug.
How to Go Up a Size in Butt Plugs
The key here is slow and steady! I know the big plugs look enticing and you are thinking about wonderfully full they will feel, but trust me, you don’t want to rush it. While your brain may think it’s ready, it takes time for your brain and booty to adjust to having larger items inserted. With time, both brain and booty will relax as they realize that everything is A-OK and this is actually pleasurable.
For best results, you want to move up around 0.25 inches in diameter each time you decide to size up. Also, remember, there’s no need to size up at all unless you want and there’s not rush to size up! Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy each stage.
Anal Training Kits
If you don’t want the hassle of shopping around for a new butt plug every time you want to size up, an anal training kit is a great option. As a bonus, you usually save money on buying each plug individually and you can get kits that include other anal toys, like anal beads or vibrating butt plugs.
b-vibe Anal Training Kit
B-vibe specializes in all things anal, aiming to smash any stigmas anal play and open our eyes to the joys of anal stimulation. Their anal training kit has everything you need to get started, with three butt plugs, one of which vibrates, a lube launcher to make sure you are fully lubricated, and an educational book to guide you through your anal experience. This is a really high-quality set that emphasizes both safety and pleasure.
What Size Butt Plug Is Safe to Wear All Day?
Sure wearing a butt plug is a great way to add a little spice to your household chores, but generally, it’s advised that you don’t wear a butt plug for more than 2-3 hours at a time to limit the possibility of damaging the tissue by limiting the blood circulation. Do people wear them for longer? Yes. Is it recommended? No. You can still get the thrill of being plugged in public or as you go about your everyday activities, but remember to give that booty a break and always check for signs of irritation or damage. And, of course, if you notice any pain or bleeding, take your butt plug out immediately.
If you do want to wear your butt plug for a few hours at a time, there are some features to look for:
- Soft silicone is the best material as this will be much more comfortable, especially when you sit down
- Opt for a thin flexible neck, so that your sphincters aren’t too stretched
- A t-bar base will be most comfortable as it can the base can sit comfortably between your butt cheeks
- Check out this guide to the best wearable butt plugs.
b-vibe Snug Plugs
Another fantastically designed product from b-vibe, these weighted plugs are great for wearing for longer periods. They also have the added bonus of weighted balls, giving you some teasing stimulation and reminding you of your sexy secret. They are available in five different sizes, ranging from 0.8 inches in diameter and 3 inches in insertable length up to 2.2 inches in diameter and 6.3 inches in length, giving you plenty to choose from.
Tips for Using Butt Plugs
So now you know exactly which size butt plug to buy, here are some tips for plain sailing on your first voyage!
- Always start small — both in the long game and in each session. Start by massaging the anus and then use smaller toys or a finger warm-up before using anything bigger.
- Lube, lube, and more lube! Unlike the vagina, the anus doesn’t produce its own lubrication so lube is essential. Lubrication applicators are fantastic for making sure you are fully lubed up and ready for action. Just make sure whatever lube you choose is compatible with your chosen butt plug. Water-based lube is best with silicone sex toys but will need to be reapplied more frequently, whereas silicone lube can be used with metal or glass butt plugs and is slipperier.
- If it is your first time using a butt plug or anal toy, you might want to try it out in the shower first. The warm environment can help you to relax making insertion a lot easier. It will also put aside any fears you have of getting messy.
- Practice safe sex. If you are sharing sex toys with a partner you are not fluid-bonded with, cover the toy in a condom.
- Be sure to clean your butt plug thoroughly after use.
- Always listen to your body. If you feel pain or notice any bleeding at any point during insertion or while you are wearing a butt plug, stop, remove the plug and assess the situation.